Drawing inspiration from landscapes in the Botanic Garden, we will adapt a sketch or photograph and transfer your image for a linocut. Using the ‘Reduction Process’ we’ll create a layered image using two sets of autumnal colour palettes.
- Look at print examples, explanation about the reduction method of linocut
- Observing, sketching and photographing out in the Garden, then Emma will demonstrate how to plan your reduction landscape print
- Create a coloured plan for your print
- Learn cutting techniques then you will explore mark-making techniques
- Cut your first layer
- Register your block to create accurate layers
- Apply inks with rollers, and print using a press, and hand burnishing
- Print test colour combinations
- Print two sets of prints of your first layer, using both colour palettes
- Continue to work on your reduction print image
- Cut and print your second layer on top of your first, in both colour ways
- Cut and print your final layer for both colour ways
The course is suitable for beginners as well as those with some experience of linocut techniques. Materials and some tools will be available to use, but you will need your own set of lino cutting tools, as well as a box or folder to take away your prints.
Emma James is Cambridge based Contemporary Artist, Printmaker and Tutor. She has a Masters Degree in Fine Art from the Cambridge School of Art, and has taught at Kettles Yard, Cambridge School of Art, CUBG, Stapleford Granary, Artworks as well as a number of schools and colleges. She joined the team at The Curwen Print Study Centre as a Fine Art Printmaking tutor in 2010. She has a multi-disciplinary practice and has exhibited work around the UK, in group and solo exhibitions. She is mainly concerned with exploring notions of impermanence, presence and absence and the interconnectedness of these co-existent states, particularly human connections and communication.
We encourage the wearing of face coverings whilst in the Classroom, and all indoor facilities at the Garden.
Please take the time to read our course cancellations and refunds policy.