Children use their senses on a walk around the Garden. We’ll be exploring colour, sound, texture and scent as we meet some of the trees and plants from our collection. One of our most famous scientists, Charles Darwin, went on a daily “thinking walk” to help him come up with his revolutionary ideas. His ideas changed the way we understand the world, what big ideas might your pupils have while exploring the Garden? The walk and the discoveries made vary according to the season.
This workshop is available year round.
- Visit several areas of the Botanic Garden
- Look at colour in the environment
- Use their sense of hearing the discover that other creatures live in the Garden
- Learn that different plants smell different
- Discover the different textures found in plants
The thinking walk workshop supports the following sections of the EYFS Framework:
- Understanding the world
- Communication and language