Pinus x holfordiana is a hybrid between the Mexican White Pine, Pinus ayacahuite, and the Blue Pine, Pinus wallichiana. It arose at Westonbirt Aboretum (owned and planted by the Holford family around 1904).
In growth, it most closely resembles Pinus wallichiana, and has formed a tall tree in the Old Pinetum. The cones, however, are quite different and are produced in great banana-like bunches a handspan long, curved and nut-brown. Each overlapping pointed scale flares out slightly and is tipped by a globule of resin which sparkles in the sun. There are usually fallen cones on the ground, but be aware, they are incredibly sticky!