Visit us to learn about plants and their amazing adaptations and meet some plants that bite back! Experience the different environments within our glasshouses and observe adaptations for life in extreme conditions including deserts, mountains and rainforests. Explore the fascinating world of carnivorous plants and learn how and why they catch their food.
This workshop is available year round.
- Experience the different conditions within the glasshouse range
- Learn about plant adaptations to extreme environments
- Make careful observations of plants growing in the Botanic Garden
- Find out about carnivorous plants and how and why they catch their food
This workshop supports the following sections of the curriculum:
- Sc1.1 Working scientifically
- Sc2/2.1b identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited and describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants, and how they depend on each other
- Sc2/2.1c identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- Sc2/2.2b find out and describe how plants need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy
- Ge1/1.3a identify seasonal and daily weather patterns in the United Kingdom and the location of hot and cold areas of the world in relation to the Equator and the North and South Poles