Our trees provide a structure around which the other elements of the Garden have evolved. The current Garden site was acquired to accommodate a wider range of trees, and many of the mature specimens along the Main Walk and around the perimeter of the western half of the Garden date back to the establishment of the Garden in 1846.
Since this time we have continued to add to this valuable collection, not only to enhance the landscape, but also ensure successive planting of younger trees for future generations to enjoy.
Having initially been planted to provide a teaching resource for University students, our diverse tree collection continues to inspire and enthral. It offers great variety in scale, flower, leaf or needle shape, bark colour and texture, and autumn colour. A number of our trees are the finest specimens of their kind in the country and have been awarded champion status in recognition of this.